At New City, our pupils will learn one of the oldest and most widely spoken language in the world from native Chinese speaking teachers. During lessons, students will not only learn the language, but also become immersed in one of the oldest and richest cultures throughout each term.
Each year group will focus on a new and dynamic topic each term.
- Year 1 will be introduced to the language and be immersed through songs and games.
- Year 2 will focus on basic communication and new vocabulary
- Year 3 will begin writing in Chinese characters and pinyin
- Year 4 will discuss opinions of their personal interests and engage in Chinese entertainment
- Year 5 will be dedicated to Chinese culture and geography
- Year 6 will investigate the global connections and benefits of the language
Children will also participate in Chinese festivals such as the Lantern festival and Chinese New Year. They will learn about China and other Chinese speaking areas of the world. Being given the opportunity to communicate through both oral conversations and written tasks in Mandarin Chinese will allow our pupils to gain a deeper understanding of Chinese.
Throughout their education, children will learn to read and write over 3000 Chinese characters, also known as radicals, as well as the written pronunciation called pinyin. As children become more familiar with these symbols, they will become more capable in visual communication and visual art skills, as well as developing these skills, practising writing these symbols can help children to improve their fine motor skills and spatial recognition.
Mandarin is one of the most spoken languages in the world, and the language that most of the world’s business is conducted in. We want to set our students up for success and give them the opportunity to broaden cultural relationships and students' cultural capital. We actively encourage children to open their minds to dynamic and exciting cultures.